Saturday, November 7, 2015

Forcing others to become vegetarians?! - Life as a vegetarian (4)

Hello beautiful people!
A few days ago I saw something that made me think about the way other people see us vegetarians. At a public place I saw this sticker. (I thought I'd find the sticker online, so I didn't take a photo. The problem is, that I didn't find a picture of the sticker, so that I'll try to describe it to you.)
The sticker was devided into two parts. The fist part was a photo of dead pigs and above was written: "If you don't want this." The second part was a simple photo of bacon and there was written: "Don't eat this."

As I saw the picture I was shocked. Why would people stick those pictures onto doors at public places? Or simply anywhere? I do understand, that some vegetarians want to convince other people that this is the right way or at least a much better way. But is this the way we should talk to others about this topic?

Are those shocking photos the right way to convince others?

I personally don't think that this is the right way to talk to others about being a vegetarian. We should try to talk to them about it without saying that we are doing it right and they are wrong with what they are doing. This way they will maybe only feel bad for a moment, but that won't make them quit eating meat and in the worst case the will be mad at us. I mean it's true that this could seem arrogant even though we probably don't want to sound arrogant. Also being vegetarian doesn't make us that much better. There are many things we have to think about if we i.e. Want to produce less CO2 and not eating meat isn't everything.

That's probably the reason others always think they have to explain themselves for eating meat. 

People I know often try to tell me that they don't feel bad for eating meat and our body needs it and basically search for arguments so that I won't say anything against their meat consumption. The thing is that I don't even want to say anything against it. I think this is what some people think we are like though because of stickers like the one I saw or people who talk like this. I always tell others that it doesn't matter to me if they eat meat. If they want to eat animals then they should, but they should also accept that I won't eat any meat. Accepting and respecting each other is one of the most important things and we should never forget that. As long as we keep that in mind it's much easier to talk to people about being a vegetarian or vegan.

I woul love to hear about your opinion in the comments, so don't be shy. Also if you're a vegan or vegetarian, what do you think about convincing others to try the same?

I will talk to you soon,

Norina xx

No comments:

Post a Comment